Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What are they teaching kids in school these days?

Yesterday, in a class of college sophomores, I used the word extrapolate. The word fell out of my mouth just as naturally as you please. I remember learning this word in high school science classes.

Several of my students, however, were unfamiliar with the word and asked me to define it for them. I defined it and told them that they should have learned this word already, and that they likely would encounter it in chemistry class. They assured me that they would not be taking chemistry.

I've come to believe that most university students tried very hard not to learn anything when they were in high school, and they have come to the university with the goal of learning as little as possible while still getting out with a degree. Fewer and fewer students ask substantive questions anymore. Typically their questions deal with process--how to get the assignment done and achieve the highest possible grade with the smallest amount of effort.

I love my students, but sometimes I fear for our world if they are to be our future leaders.

2 comments:

Tony Arnold said...

You are dead on JMG. I am seeing the same thing with Sr. Eng students.

Our society and the parents in this country are failing our children. We are not providing a good education, we are not holding our children accoutable, and we are not pushing them to higher levels.

And then everyone wonders what is wrong with them.

Too many parents are lazy and they want to be liked, rather than respected. A bad combination for parenting because it requires just the opposite.

The lack of valuing knowledge and enjoying learning is the very reason that a bunch of greedy, evil crooks at the highest levels in financial companies were able to sell illogical, basic-math insensible credit to so many people.

And I seriously doubt that anyone is going to hold either party accoutable.

JMG said...

The lack of valuing knowledge and enjoying learning is the very reason that a bunch of greedy, evil crooks at the highest levels in financial companies were able to sell illogical, basic-math insensible credit to so many people.

I think you're right. If people had taken the time to think through the terms of these loans, they'd have realized that it was a bad deal. And that coupled with the "gotta have the biggest and best right now" mentality is what has contributed to this mess. The big bankers knew all the tricks to pull to get (willfully?) ignorant people to buy a bad deal.