Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to the Salt Mines and Other Stuff

I've been quiet lately because I've been getting ready to go back to work, which started back up today. I won't meet classes until this afternoon, so the day has been pretty good so far. We'll see what types of first-day of the semester emergencies this semester brings.

Nothing noteworthy has been happening to me as usual, which I guess is good. Husband and I went to the fair last week. We decided this year we'd pay the dollar to see the "World's Smallest Woman" assuming it would be some kind of trick with mirrors and stuff. But to our surprise, when we went up the steps and looked over the wall, there sat a real live, very tiny woman. We said hi and then hurried back down the steps, amazed that she was for real. The next day when we were talking about it, we realized that we both had the same weird, uneasy feeling when we saw the real live woman. It wasn't that we were weired out by her size, but that we felt strange about paying a dollar to look at an unusual person. We wondered whether she's happy being a side show, if she's placing herself on display by her own free will. We both agreed that we'd have felt much better if the whole thing had been a mirror trick instead of a real person.

We also avoided the horse-made ice cream this year. If you have never seen that, don't bother. They put a horse on an inclined treadmill that is hooked up to turn a manual ice cream freezer. The horse must walk or risk slipping off the treadmill. It seems really uncomfortable for the horse.

This was our first visit to the fair in several years, and I think we got enough this time that we won't need to go back for several more.

4 comments:

Dr. Mike Kear said...

I always enjoyed going to the New Mexico State Fair when we lived in Albuquerque. I saw a lot of sheep and horses and cows and crafts, but no tiny women.

Have a great year back at the salt mines!

Ayatollah Mugsy said...

That is my general attitude about fairs -- one visit is enough to tide me over for the next few years. Perhaps it is because the freak shows remind me of my short stint in the circus as a pup.

JMG said...

Was that in your autobiography, Mugsy?

JMG said...

Mike, we didn't see any of the animals this year. It was too hot to really enjoy anything.