Thursday, July 13, 2006

Vacation Bible School Redux

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to installing a counter on this blog. For those of you who don’t know, I can now log into my Sitemeter account and find out all sorts of neat stuff about the people who visit. One interesting thing I can find out is the search terms that people use in Google that lead people to my blog. By far, the most viewed page on my blog is my post about Vacation Bible School. Lots of people are googling the terms arctic edge theme craft snacks songs. Apparently, lots of churches are doing this Arctic Edge VBS, but they don’t have much of an idea of what songs to sing, what crafts to make, and what snacks to serve.

Here’s my suggestion: Stick with what you know. If you don’t know anything about the Arctic, then don’t try to work it into your VBS program. If you can’t figure out how to use a popular theme to connect kids with God and Jesus, then just stick with what’s in the bible. The kids will get more out of it; you’ll get more out of it, and Jesus will likely appreciate not having to dress up in a parka in the middle of July.

If you must have a theme, though, I do have good news for you. Next summer Jesus gets to play football. I'm sure the men in the church will not lack for ideas on that one.

2 comments:

jettybetty said...

Occasionally I check to see what people google to get to me--and usually I am quite entertained. Most of the time I just don't care though ;-)!

Great ideas for VBS--but it won't sell many books =-(!

Ayatollah Mugsy said...

I must incorporate that GameDay theme into next summer's Youth Indoctrination Camp ...